Frequently Asked Questions
I received an email/postcard/phone call from a company asking for my personal information and a story about The College of New Jersey. Is this a legitimate project?
It’s legit! We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an Oral History Publication for The College of New Jersey. PCI is a family-owned business based in Dallas, Texas, that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for almost 100 years. This project allows TCNJ to hear about your personal experiences and about how the college has helped to shape the lives of its alumni.
Does The College of New Jersey benefit from this project?
Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – allows TCNJ to effectively communicate with and engage alumni
- Legacy – preserves the college’s history
- Pride – shows graduates’ support of and love for the college
However, TCNJ does not receive any proceeds from this project.
How do I know my information will be used only for Oral History Project purposes?
PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses, and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law. Upon completion of the project, PCI will redact PII (Personal Identifiable Information) from any and all electronic files that we have supplied or were produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Oral History Project.
I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, then ask you to share your story about your time at TCNJ. Your story will be recorded and a sound clip provided to the college at the project’s conclusion.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may review your information and submit a story online.
- If you did not receive a postcard or email, you may call the dedicated TCNJ update line at 1.866.571.1821.
Can I choose what information is printed in the publication?
When you call to update your information, you can advise the representative if you would like any of your information to be excluded. You can also communicate your preferences to PCI’s customer service help desk at 1.800.982.1590 or via email.
I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
You can call back at any time to share your story.
I shared a story, and the representative said I could send some photos. How do I do this?
You will receive an email with a link to upload up to two photos (black and white or color) plus captions.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send physical photos to be printed. (Note: Photos will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.)
I’d like to add/remove information from my story.
You will receive an email prior to publication with a link to review your transcribed story and make any edits.
Can anyone purchase a book?
The College of New Jersey Oral History Publication is available for sale only to TSC/TCNJ alumni.
When will I receive my book?
The total duration of the Oral History Project is about 12 months. Since we began the project in June 2021, the books will be distributed in June 2022.
I ordered a book/package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
Contact PCI’s customer service help desk at 1.800.982.1590 for assistance in canceling your order.